Friday 15 June 2012

Flaming June

Thursday 14th June.  


Dear diary


This evening I came home from work, quickly got changed into a floaty summer dress, padded outside in bare feet to eat dinner whilst sitting on the bench on the top patio and then sat reading bathed in beautiful golden evening sunshine with a glass of something cool and refreshing.  Around 10.30 when the light began to fade and a faint chill crept in, I lit the chiminea and watched the woodsmoke curl upwards into the still evening air as the bats and swifts swooped overhead.

Three, Two, One.... and she's back in the room.

Sigh.  I really must remember not to eat cheese late at night.

My feet are freezing.  I'm wearing PJs and a bliddy thick towelling dressing gown, the wind is blowing a hoolie down the chimney and the rain is lashing hard against the windows.  I've just attempted to let the dog out for his final constitutional of the day.  I say "attempted"" because once I'd battled to hold the door open and avoid getting what felt like a bucket of water chucked into my face, he took one look outside, gave me a look as if to say "are you having a laugh lady?" and slunk off to his bed under the kitchen table.  That told me then.

The forecast for the next three days is Storms,  then Rain/Thunder/Wind and Mostly Cloudy.

Deep joy.

Cheer up!  It'll be Christmas soon.   Ah well bloglies, whether we like it or not, we have no control over that contrary madam Mother Nature so we may as well embrace her and all her foibles.

After all.....

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
Vivian Green.


NB
Whilst I was searching for the name of the author of the above quote, I stumbled upon a wonderful poem which seems quite fitting in the circumstances as we're all fed up to the back teeth with the distinct lack of summer. Hope you like it too.


WEATHER REPORT
~BJ Gallagher

"Any day I'm vertical
 is a good day"
...that's what I always say.
If you ask me,
"How are you?"
I'll answer, "GREAT!" 
because in saying so, 
I make it so.
When Life gives me dark clouds and rain, 
I appreciate the moisture 
that brings a soft curl to my hair.
When Life gives me sunshine, 
I gratefully turn my face up 
to feel its warmth on my cheeks.
When Life brings fog, 
I hug my sweater around me 
and give thanks for the cool shroud of mystery 
that makes the familiar seem different and intriguing.
When Life brings snow, 
I dash outside to catch the first flakes on my tongue, 
relishing the icy miracle that is a snowflake.
Life's events and experiences 
are like the weather - 
they come and go, 
no matter what my preference.
So, what the heck?!
I might as well decide to enjoy them.
For indeed, 
there IS a time for every purpose 
under Heaven.
And each season brings its own unique blessings.

5 comments:

  1. I'd better not tell you about our weather then. Will someone pass me that bottle of Ambre Solaire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I laid in bed this morning trying to prise my eyes open, the cheery weather lady on the radio announced that we have an amber weather warning in place for the next 36 hours - thunder storms, heavy rain and gale force winds. Lovely as the poem is - none of those are mentioned - wrapping yourself in a cagoule and being battered by wind and rain, or shuddering at the rumbles of thunder and flashes of lightning overhead don't conjure up such poetic images! Ah well, what would we talk about if it wasn't the weather? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Vivian Green quote 'cos I feel that's my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cro that's a terrible thing to say!!

    Scarlet - Ugh it's 'orrible out there isn't it?! As poetic as last post was - I'm grimacing and gritting my teeth alongside everyone else!

    Gilly - hello lovely lady! Yup - me too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean - we never seem to have had the fire on so much - and in JUNE!! ridiculous...!

    BH x

    ReplyDelete

Working from home

I've taken a precious day of annual leave today.  I've really struggled this week with feeling so yuk and I needed the restorative ...